Saturday, June 22, 2013

Departure delays

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to get out of TN this year, there seems to be an ever growing list of things I need to get done before I can leave. I finally found a good small engine guy to fix my lawn tractor so I actually mowed the whole yard on Wednesday. The back hadn't been mowed in almost a month, so it was nearly waist high. Yeah, Tennessee is subtropical and everything grows very fast. I've finally found someone to haul the old shingles to the landfill for me, he is planning on being here Tuesday morning bright and early, so I've spent the last few days picking up all the old shingles and hauling them to a spot near the driveway. I've managed to get them cleaned up on both ends of the house and the horrible area underneath the house where the new plumbing went in. The previous owner had used this spot to pile up old fiberglass insulation. Needless to say, mice found this to be a very cozy living arrangement but I wasn't too happy about it. Plus me and fiberglass just don't get along. All I have to do is just look at the stuff and I start itching. Six trash bags later, I'm really glad that part of the job is done! Now I just have the backyard to go.

The dog fence in the backyard is actually 6' x 10' chain link kennel panels, a dozen of them hooked together to form a large run for the four-leggers to play in. It works fine, but the lawn tractor and trailer will not fit through the walk gate, so I'll have to take one section out so I can get the mess cleaned up. Unfortunately, the back yard is almost NEVER in the shade, and with Tennessee's lack of any meaningful breeze it makes working back there very uncomfortable when the temps are near 90 and the humidity is higher than that. Hopefully my back holds out and I can get it done before Tuesday.

I have started loading a few things in the new travel trailer, and have bought a few things I'll need for the summer. Mr. Kitty is going with me this summer, so a new litter box was needed, as well as food and water dishes. Hmmm... how to keep the dogs out of the litter box? I think I will put a cat door under the bed so his box can be in the basement area of the TT. I'm not sure what he'll think of the whole affair, both the cat box placement and being on the road, but he traveled pretty well moving to TN so I have high hopes he'll adjust quickly.

So what else is left to do? Finish putting the master bath together, install the floating wood floor in the master bedroom, paint the master, clear all the construction debris off the front porch (hey, it's a handy place to put stuff lol), install a new cat flap on the house so I can put the old one in the TT, and a few other small projects, along with keeping up with the jungl... I mean yard. Piece of cake!  lol

On a side note, I once again made portabello mushroom "pizzas" tonight, this time I removed the gills as per some instructions I saw somewhere, but they still juiced like crazy. Is there a secret way to treat them so you can stuff portabellos and NOT have them leak 1/2 gallon of juice all over the plate? If anyone knows, I'm all ears!




No comments:

Post a Comment